Monday, July 04, 2005

A Pavilion of Comment and Opinion

So a month after its creation, has this blog become what I thought it would be? No. But it is still very new. I haven't written enough yet to define it.

At the time of my first post, it was one month out from a widely reported op-ed piece by Maureen Dowd. She was complaining about the dearth of women columnists and suggested that women are not drawn to writing opinion because they want to be liked. She included herself as having this trait and admitted that she sometimes found the controversy surrounding some of her opinions to be personally painful.

That got me to thinking about whether I could write opinion pieces. It is not that I aspire to a career as I columnist, but I certainly have opinions. And while I prefer to be liked, I would like to think that I could show great courage in stating them and defending them. (The readership for this blog is somewhat less than the readership of the New York Times. I risk little.)

So what will I write about going forward? Politics, world events, personal insights? I don't know myself. All I know is what I will write about tomorrow: the reason I think Newspaper Columnist is the most prestigious occupation.